Job Title: Intern, Gender Unit
Organization Name: OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina
Closing Date of application: 02-09-2018
No. of Posts: 1
The Gender Unit (GU) is tasked to improve the adherence to principles of gender equality in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), in line with the Mission’s Gender Action Plan and the OSCE Gender Action Plan. In particular, the GU focuses on implementation of the Mission’s Gender Action Plan through following objectives: assisting BiH to meet its obligations in promoting gender equality, promoting gender equality and gender mainstreaming through the Mission’s policies and management practices, as well as strengthening gender mainstreaming in the design and implementation of the Mission’s programmes. The GU works closely with the responsible gender institutional mechanisms at all levels of government. The intern will assist GU with a number of activities. She/he will be primarily working on increasing the participation of women in public and political life, and on strengthening the capacity of domestic mechanisms to promote gender equality at all levels of government and to meet international obligations, including implementation of Istanbul Convention and UNSCR 1325. The intern is expected to contribute to realization of Mission’s promotional activities to highlight importance of gender equality and related issues. Intern will be directly reporting to the National Programme Officer, Gender Strategies and National Programme Officer, Gender Issues.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assisting in carrying out and following-up on all activities pertaining to the work on promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment within the Gender Unit through gender mainstreaming and gender specific programmes and projects;
- Assisting and providing support to the Gender Unit in conducting research, and analysing and structuring information stemming from reports produced by the field staff;
- Assisting in maintaining regular contacts and cooperation with Gender Unit’s counterparts;
- Assisting and providing substantive input as well as logistic support regarding the organization of events;
- Supporting the preparation of inputs to regular reports and drafting of internal reports, memos and briefing files/notes for the file;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Be between 19 and 30 years old on the date of the deadline of this vacancy notice;
- Have completed two years of full-time undergraduate studies, OR one year of full-time graduate studies from an accredited institution, OR have completed a first degree in a field relevant to the OSCE’s mandate no longer than two years ago by the date of the deadline of the vacancy notice;
- Knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights in the context of Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian language would be considered as an asset;
- Ability to draft documents clearly and concisely;
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong social media skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people from different national and cultural backgrounds, whilst maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
The OSCE is not in a position to pay any remuneration or cover any expenses incurred by the intern during his/her stay in Sarajevo nor reimburse travel expenses. However, interns selected who are non-residents of Sarajevo may be eligible for some compensation towards their living costs in Sarajevo. The internship lasts up to six (6) months and does not constitute a commitment to future employment with the OSCE. The selected intern interns shall provide the OSCE with evidence that he/she has health insurance coverage which is valid for Bosnia and Herzegovina, otherwise he/she shall be obliged to join the OSCE group health insurance scheme for the period of their internship, at their own expense. The OSCE will cover life and disability insurance for the duration of internship.
How To Apply
If you meet the above requirements and wish to apply for this internship opportunity, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/. Please mention your availability dates in the cover letter. Please note that vacancies in the OSCE are open for competition only amongst nationals of participating States, please see http://www.osce.org/states. The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, or offer an internship with modified terms of reference or a different duration. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization. Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.